Clones, Rootstocks, Varieties
Changes in the variety range and in cultivation techniques necessitate periodic renovation of the vineyards. Economic success is therefore largely dependent on the use of healthy plants that are well suited to the vineyard site and the production targets. Systematic cultivation experiments aim to define indicators that help to facilitate and optimise the selection of varieties, clones and rootstocks. The available assortment of clones is expanded continuously through selections performed by the Research Centre.
- Analysis of new varieties not yet permitted in the area
- Study of new hybrids with increased resistance to vine diseases and their wine quality and suitability for cultivation.
- Testing of new rootstocks and their suitability for cultivation, as well as their special characteristics such as resistance to drought
- Selection of suitable clones of local varieties
- Testing of foreign clones of varieties that are cultivated in South Tyrol
- Preservation and stocking of propagation material for the permitted Laimburg clones
- Care and expansion of Laimburg’s collection of old varieties; determination of their suitability for cultivation if not yet established